Phewhh! What an episode it was. We got our most antiseptically waited battle. Some sad deaths. And lots of action and drama in Game of Thrones S08E03: The Long Night.
As the episode ended, many fans (including me) had lots of questions. So, here I have answered some of these. Feel free to ask more. And…
Who died in Game of Thrones S08E03: The Long Night?
After the end of seconds episode, Game of Thrones S08E02, most of us thought that we might be seeing some of these characters for the last time. This included, Brienne, as she got her ‘Ser’ title and finally accepted as a knight. And Arya too, after her action scene with Gendry.
However, Game of Thrones is known to surprise everyone. Don’t worry, Brienne and Arya are alive and healthy. However, here are some characters, we might not see in upcoming episodes:
- Dolorous Edd: After Jon left the Night Watch, Dolorous became the Lord Commander. He was stabbed by a wight after saving Samwell Tarly.
- Lady Lyanna Mormont: She had a heroic death. She went to attack a giant wight and picked by it. Then Lyanna stabbed the giant in the eye. And fell down along with the giant.
- Beric Dondarrion: Beric was resurrected six times and believed that Lord of Light has something (greater) planned for him. Which he fulfilled in this episode by dying saving Arya and the Hound from army of wights.
- Theon Greyjoy: Theon died saving Bran when they were in Godswood. Night King along with the army came to take Bran. This is when Theon charged at Night King but stabbed to death
- The Night King: While Night King reached Bran to take him. Arya got Night King from behind and stabbed Night King with Valyrian steel dagger. With demise of Night King, all other wights were stopped too.
- Ser Jorah Mormont: Jorah died saving what he loved the most, Danny. He took blade to chest while fighting wights. Danny and Drogon were seen to mourn his death.
- Melisandre: Only she knew that she will be dead by the end of this episode. Melisandre’s last prophecy came true, when, after using the power of the Lord of Light to help the Army of the Living, she walked into the battlefield, removed her magic necklace and died.
Why did the Night King want Bran?
The Night King has nothing to do with Bran. But he wanted to kill The Three-Eyed Raven, which is the magical being Bran Stark has become.
According to Bran, who is all-knowing at this point, the Night King’s real goal isn’t just to rule Westeros, but to erase it. And, as Bran explains, “I am its memory.” The “its” in question is the world.
Then Samwell Tarly explianed “memories don’t come from books. And your stories aren’t just stories. If I wanted to erase the world, I’d start with you.”
The Three-Eyed Raven is the keeper of the memories of man and the Night King wants to destroy all trace of mankind. As a result, he needs to take out The Three-Eyed Raven to complete his big picture plan
Is Arya Azor Ahai?
Yes and No. It’s pretty confusing the theories revolving around Azor Ahai. Arya surely killed Night King, then she has to be the Azor Ahai. She killed him with Valyrian steel dagger, not a flaming sword, as mentioned in the prophecy by the red woman, Melisandre. However, we don’t the history of that dagger before it appeared in Season 1 as Littlefinger’s dagger.
Next, The Prince that was promised, born amidst of salt and smoke, under a bleeding star. None of these is true in case of Arya. But she indeed killed Night King.
So, maybe there was never a Azor Ahai. And we can say this because Melisandre and her prophecies were never really correct. Apart from saving Jon Snow, she never did anything right. Remember her obsession for Stannis Baratheon?
Did Rhaegal die?
Yes, Rhaegal is alive along with Drogon. They were seen in the promo of the next episode, Game of Thrones S08E04.
How did Arya kill the Night King?
Stabbed him with the pointy end.
But the real question is, ‘How did she sneak up on the Night King?’
Did she ran from Winterfell castle to Godswood which was filled with wights? which, by the way, would be 15-20 minute run.
Probably she was disguised herself as one of the wights. She is an assassin after all. And fast, small, and a trained killer.